OTAP PDU Generator
Tutorial, June 17, 2014 - 4:45pm, 4741 views
This tutorial shows an example of the OTAP functionality of the EHS-6.
OTAP (=Over the air provisioning) of Java Applications provides the user a mechanism to install and to delete Java Midlets over the air. Starting OTAP is possible by using AT-commands or by using short messages in PDU mode. Only the second way is described.
security advice: do not use OTAP before setting a password!!! Therefore it is required to send AT^SJOTAP command once.
- EHS-6 Eval-Board
- Starter Kit B80
- antenna cable
- two usb cable
- SIM card
- Terminal Emulator (e.g. HTerm)
- pduGenerator.html and functions_new.js (download at the end)
- devcie manager
First of all connect the Starter Kit B80 with the PC via USB (USB and ASC0). Insert a SIM card and connect the antenna cable. Switch on the module. Look up the COM ports of USB (modemport) and ASC0 connection in the device manager. Open HTerm two times because it is more comfortable to have a debugging session. Set COM ports in HTerm. In order to have an output on the ASC0 port following settings are mandatory. Otherwise there is no output on this port.
AT^SCFG = "URC/Ringline","asc0"
Furthermore a password must be set because of safety aspects. Type in following AT command:
AT^SJOTAP = "[your password]",,,,,,,,,,,,
followed by twelve commas. All other settings will be set by the PDU generator.
Generating PDU code:
- copy both files pduGenerator.html and functions_new.js into one common directory
- open pduGenerator.html and fill in all mandatory and needed parameters
- depending on the goal click "START INSTALL" or "START DELETE"
- the PDU code is generated in the textbox on the right-hand-side
- copy this PDU code
- at the bottom of the page the length of the PDU is shown. The given length is important for the next step
Depending on the length the output consists of one or more short messages. One message can have up to 160 signs. If this message is longer than permitted the script divides the message. Every message contains the platform and the password set with AT^SJOTAP.
"START:INSTALL" or "START:DELETE" start the execution of all previous PDUs. For more detailed information about the PDU mode see the technical specification 3GPP TS 23.040 (PDU format) and in Java User's Guide (SMS format)
- in one HTerm type in AT^SCFG="Trace/Syslog/OTAP","1" in order to start the debugging session
- in the other HTerm window set the module to PDU mode (AT^CMGF=0)
- AT+CMGS=[your pdu length] starts the text input. Wait until ">" appears
- input generated PDU code, deactivate CRLF (activate None)
- type in a hexadecimal "1A" behind the PDU code to send the message with "enter"
- after a few seconds "+CMGS:..." appears. This indicates succesful transmission of the MIDlet. See the other HTerm window for detailed information about download and installation of the MIDlet.
- The module automatically restarts after the OTAP completed.
- in HTerm window 2 debugging session starts
Only 7 bit modus is available with gsm character set. Selecting 8 bit mode has no effect.